[DMCForum] Re: different ends of combustion window

[DMCForum] Re: different ends of combustion window

Oh no, this wasn't constant drumming like a diesel engine. More like
mechanical popcorn. Approached "dieseling" (which is I call engine
running even after ignition turned off BTW -- usually carbon buildup)
lugging 5th gear. Other times was more random. Worst when engine hot.
Remember: I was running Delco R44's too. Always burned hot (do a
search in one of the groups for my summertime message Re: "white
plugs") but didn't actually melt until vacuum leak (cylinders 4-6).
Scared me to death. That's why I thought might have warped valves.

Have seen whatever hot engine/low octane/high compression is called
before but didn't recognize because I was sure my engine 8.5:1. That's
why I kept screwing around with CO2 (over enriching countered
low octane). Couldn't understand why I wasn't able to tune out. Didn't
worry about timing closer to 13 because that does match DeLo spec, but
there was always the fuel issue. Knew mixture too rich by MPG, yet the
plugs were still burning white. And Delco R44's are supposed to be the
xRef (8.5:1)! This weekend averaged 22-24 MPG at 2800-3000 RPM so I
know tuning process almost finished. Am going to lean main CO2 up a
bit more, balance banks by tach, then FINALLY get back to working on
my Lincolns (have two dashboards open at the moment).

Appears you and I were at different ends of combustion window -- you
at bottom where early spark is causing problem, me at top where it's
late spark (given cylinder conditions and fuel volatility).

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <webmaster@xxxx> wrote:
> What you're calling "predetonation", I (me, not read texbooks on it)
> call dieseling. And I doubt your engine will diesel if you retard it
> enough, unless either your mixture is waay too weak, or your valve
> timing's out.
>
> Martin
>
> content22207 wrote:
>
> >OK: concede there's a difference between two and I may have been using
> >wrong term. I had whichever refers to spontaneous combustion. Only
> >showed up on hot engine, or when car was lugged in 5th (timed at 10
> >degrees). Timed towards 13 engine never made a peep. Lost power band,
> >however. Is no way to red line my engine timed at 13.

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.4074964.5287182.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1732163/R=0/SIG=11n0nglqg/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=
30510&media=zone> click here

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=194081.4074964.5287182.1261774/D=egroupm