Re: [DMCForum] chevy V-8 conversion.

hi John.

I either missed the message or was ignoring you, apparently.

About cutting up the D, I did a fair amount of it.  I made the stock
rotary engine mounts fit in the Delorean.  This was arguably rather
fortunate, because the only place they did fit, they did fit.  I took out
the stock driver side engine mount , it was in the way.  I moved the
driver's side of the engine cradle over a bit to make room for the
turbos, it was about 2" so I made a little ledge and welded it in with
.090 i think.  The g50 is about 6" longer than the renault, having
another gear and all, so it didn't clear the frame in the front.  It went
from a little shift linkage hole to a .... larger... hole.

Arguably, the 13b (2rotor) would have been a better choice for the fit in
the car, as the 3rotor pushed forward the crutch of the frame in the
front and the fascia in the rear.  the 2rotor is a rotor housing and half
a side housing longer, which is between 4 and 5 inches.  I could have
well used the space.

The G50 doesn't have mounts in the same place as the renault, so i had to
make a special mount for the transmission.  It bolted to the frame (at
the crutch) and to the transmission like the stock (porsche) transmission
mount.

The only place I moved/removed fibreglass was on the bottom of the
passenger pontoon to encourage flow from the right rear vent down through
the oil/intercooler.

If you are getting a new frame anyways and are changing the engine, you
should get the engine or mount specs and have the frame made to fit it.
Even better, get the engine and transmission together and make fitting to
fit them both on the frame.  It will be a lot easier to do with the boy
off, just don't put the engine where the car is.

Jim

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 18:45:45 -0000 "John Dore" <dmcjohn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:
> Hi lads,
>
> Anyone know any details about the small block chevy conversion that
> was at the memphis show? How easily did it fit, did the guy have to
> cutout any fiberglass underbody to get it in there?
> Is the chevy smallblock more suitable than the ford v-8 for putting
> in a DeLorean, as small block Ford V8 engines are lighter and
> narrower than the Chevy V8 engines, however they are about 1.5"
> longer than the Chevy V8?
>
> Whenever I get around to doing an engine/transmission conversion on
> my DMC, I want a big ole American V-8 back there, all polished up
> and
> shiny, with some sort of Porsche transmission, either the G50 or the
>
> 915. as Duke is now putting in his car. I'm hoping that the
> conversion will not need major changes to the chassis or underbody.
> I'd be planning on swapping the chassis for a Stainless one during
> this conversion. Any opinions on how easily a Ford or Chevy V-8
> would
> fit mated to either Porsche transaxle?
>
> Jim, I asked last week but you might have missed it?, did you have
> make any major changes to the frame of your car to get the G50
> tranny
> in there?
>
> Imagine how cool a v-8 would look back there with custom valve
> covers
> with DeLorean written on them, and maybe a custom air cleaner with
> DMC engraved on it, that will look so cool!
>
> John

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Yahoo! Autos. Everything you need to know about buying or selling a car.
FREE Quotes, 360° Tours, Research,
Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kEZsdA/bwnGAA/YiGOAA/HliolB/TM