Re: [DMCForum] ...and yet more tuning

...and yet another novel...

> I can't find any vac leaks (which doesn't
mean there aren't any).

Try connecting a hand vacuum pump to various places and making sure that
it
holds vacuum.  I recently found two leaks this way.  One was my vacuum
solenoid(!) and the other was the thermo vacuum switch under the intake
manifold.  It was leaking where the plastic meets the metal base.  It is
nice to do a vacuum test twice: Once with the engine stone cold and then
again after it has warmed up.  This way you can see if the vacuum signal
switches from the warm-up regulator to the distributor advance.  All of
these connections should hold vacuum.

> The idle was a tad rougher, only noticeable by ear. The tach never
wavered.

Not all tachometers are alike in these cars.  Mine, for example, has a
very
slow response time.  I can hear the engine seeking, but the tach needle
doesn't move.  I've seen other DeLoreans with tachs that bounce all over
the
place.  Volt meters have variations too.  Mine has a fast response, so it
fluctuates with RPMs at idle while the tach sits there like a rock.  Other
DeLoreans have volt meters that are as slow as molasses.

> Mine goes
to 30, climbs to 45 and just -drops- back to 30. The range is close,
but isn't it supposed to be a steady rocking back and forth vs. a
climb/drop sort of motion?

Yes.  If your readings fluctuate very far then it could be that your
mixture
is far enough out of adjustment that the lambda ECU is intermittently
switching to its default 50% duty cycle value.

First be sure that you are reading your dwell meter correctly.  Maybe you
are confusing degrees dwell with percentage duty cycle.  Also the dwell
meter I have (Actron CP7605 available at Sears, NAPA, and various other
places $40 or less) doesn't have any degree scales that match what I think
it should.  I just consider a full scale reading to be 100% duty cycle or
90
degrees dwell; and likewise, a half scale reading is 50% duty cycle or 45
degrees dwell.  The half-way mark is the only one that you really need to
measure accurately for adjusting the mixture screw.  I think your neighbor
Mike Cohee has the book Bosch Fuel Injection & Engine Management by
Charles
Probst.  And in Chapter 6 page 32 it better explains this procedure.  As a
reference, the dwell meter should show 45 degrees or 50% duty cycle when
the
O2 sensor is disconnected (open circuit) or out of range.  This should
help
you find the point on the scale where you should use to adjust your
mixture
screw.

There are several possible snags along the way that can prevent you from
getting a proper reading.  The biggest snag is trying to make this
adjustment on a car that is not running correctly for other reasons such
as
vacuum leaks or uneven flow rates through the injectors.  If one injector
is
coming on late or not spraying like the others then you will end up with
an
adjustment that has one cylinder too lean and the rest too rich.  You may
get a reasonable average reading on the dwell meter, but the engine will
still run like crap.  Check the plugs to see what they tell you and also
check the flow rates of all the injectors.

If the O2 sensor is giving a signal that is too far out of range (such as
running too rich, too lean or having the sensor clogged with soot) then
the
lambda ECU will default to 50% duty cycle.  This can really fool you if
you
don't know what to look for.  You want to adjust it for 50%, and you see
it
at 50%, but it is at 50% for the wrong reason.  If you get the adjustment
half-way close then the sensor will intermittently give a value that the
lambda ECU will try to work with.  When this happens your reading will
fluctuate by a large amount as the O2 sensor goes in and out of range.

When I start one of these adjustments from scratch (such as after
replacing
the fuel distributor) I adjust the mixture to be too lean while the car
warms up.  If it is too rich for too long then the O2 sensor may get sooty
and stay out of range.  It's lots of fun standing behind the car smelling
exhaust fumes until you are ready to pass out.  It's best do to this out
in
the open on a windy day.

Walt    Tampa, FL

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1595055/R=0/SIG=124j83ehr/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenat
togyo?YH=3707890&yhad=1595055> Click Here!

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1595055/rand=722679837>