[DMCForum] Re: Toby TAB's vs Walt TAB's

> So which is better?  Toby TAB or Walt TAB?

Strength-wise they should be identical since they are made from the same
Inconel 718 alloy.

Toby-TABs are more cool looking since they have a bright sand-blasted
finish
and 12 point head.  But the head can make them a pain in the ass to
install
if you don't have a 12 point offset wrench.  If you want jam nuts, Toby
says
to go buy them at your local hardware.  For whatever reason, Toby did not
have his bolts threaded to OEM metric dimensions.  I really don't like the
nuts that he uses because they are not of the nylock variety.  Instead one
side of the nut has purposely damaged threads which then damages the
threads
on the bolts as you tighten them.  The purpose, of course, is to make sure
that they fit tight enough so that they don't come loose on their own.
But
as I tightened a Toby-TAB, I watched a piece of it extrude into a long
piece
of Inconel wire as the purposely damaged nut scraped part of the thread
off.
I really hated seeing this happen to a bolt that someone just paid a lot
of
money for.

Walt-TABs are black & ugly but are more practical and costs less.  They
are
made to metric specs, so they install and fit like the original bolts.
They
come with jam nuts and nylock nuts included.  And most importantly,
Walt-TABs are still available!

Since Walt-TABs were commissioned at mine and Martin Gutkowski's request,
we
talked extensively with the manufacture to make the best bolts.  The only
dimension that we changed from OEM is that the shank on Walt-TABs are 95mm
whereas the shank on OEM TABs are 86mm and Toby-TABs are 100mm.  The
reason
for making the shank longer is that we wanted to be sure that the trailing
arm didn't bear any load on a threaded portion of the TAB.  Toby used a
similar approach but maybe went too far (really a matter of opinion.)  His
100mm shanks can be too long in some applications (depending on how many
wheel alignment shims your particular car needs).  So he provides extra
washers to use as spacers to make up the difference.  For Martin and I it
was a close call deciding on what the optimum shank length should be.  We
chose 95mm because that is short enough to not require extra washers and
yet
long enough so that very few if any threads are load-bearing.  We were
concerned of the possibility that a future mechanic doing a rear wheel
alignment might need to remove some shims and then not know that
additional
spacer washers are needed because a Toby-TAB shank is too long.  So we
made
sure that Walt-TAB shanks are just long enough.  They are 9mm longer than
OEM TABs but 5mm shorter than Toby-TABs.  Have I rambled on long enough
already?

And for you concours nuts, the black finish on Walt-TABs can be cleaned
off
to make them look OEM.  Toby-TABs look noticeably different.  Cool, but
different.

> Based on 20,000 mile condition of my factory original 10.9's would
suspect that mere 12.9's would probably be fine as long as they're
changed periodically,

Uh, no.  I have done TABs on 5 DeLoreans to date (actually crawling under
the car and doing the work myself, not just selling the bolts).  Of these
5
cars, only one had TABs that weren't bent, and those were relatively new
TABs installed by PJ Grady.  I haven't tried to keep "tabs" on how many
people find bent ones, but there are a lot of bent ones.  The guy selling
the 12.9 bolts is John Hervey.  Yeah, 12.9 should be stronger than 10.9,
but
I have questions.  After he buys these bolts then he has them replated.
But
replating a bolt changes its hardness.  I asked him about this, and he
said
that he has them retempered after he has them replated.  So why start with
an off-the-shelf bolt and then have it replated and retempered because the
manufacturer went cheap on the original plating?  Did they go cheap on
anything else?  Like are the threads rolled or cut?  This is critical to
how
strong the bolt really is.  How long is the shank and how did you choose
that length?  Has the hardness of the bolts been verified?

I have all the technical certificates for the Walt-TABs and will get
copies
posted online soon.

> Net splurge was only $20 (which included shipping BTW).

Bill, how the hell did you bag a set of Toby-TABs for only $20?  The going
rate while they were available was $66/set.

Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=256694.4002236.5216697.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1784493/R=0/id=noscript/SIG=11q7p9e7k/*http://webevents.yahoo.co
m/universal/intolerablecruelty/>