[DMCForum] Re: Reasonable Frame Repair

Obviously the panel truck will last forever...

I thought this was a motorcycle fabricator. Expected you to drive out
of there with one of a kind mandrel bent tubular frame extension.

Are you using other frame to reinforce wishbone itself, or the piece
that goes across front? If it's cast should outlast everything else on
car.

What is "the rest" that threatens this repair? Other damage not
addressed at this time? Residual road salt?

Road salt is like cancer. Once car is infected you'll never get 100%
rid of it, but it can be managed. Be sure to cut out worst damage.
Residue won't do anything to his new welds themselves, nor the cast
pieces. Make plans now how to battle when it attacks original steel on
other side of repairs. Would suspect future repairs less expensive
than this initial visit. Even if they're comparable price, is not end
of the world to spend average $100 annually to keep car on road.
Compare to annual property taxes or liability insurance.

Sorry about pain-in-the-ass aspect of all this.

Look at it this way: would car in hands of other owner end up parked
or parted out?

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:
> It's reasonable if it LASTS. He has already given me a disclaimer
> that it might not last longer than 3 years if I don't do something
> about the rest. Guess what my next project is??
>
> He says that the pre-cut piece that the POS P.O.'s left me will come
> in handy. It was same gauge or so as the OEM stuff. He's going to use
> it more as a "vanity cover" to hide his welding though.
>
> He's going to shore up the "Y" brace all the way out to the control
> arms using a large square tubing from another automobile frame. The
> rest, I'm not sure about.
>
> They're restoring a '33 Ford panel truck. They've lopped off the
> front of the frame and they're going to weld the front and rear axle
> from a 60's Lincoln onto it.
>
> --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@xxxx>
> wrote:
> > Too late now. Title's in your name. You're just going to have to
> fall
> > in love with car and spend more time, money, patience, etc on it
> than
> > you should. We all do...
> >
> > Seriously, now that you have unimpeded access to bottom of car am
> > willing to bet everything's going to be fine. DeLo's have world's
> > largest frame made from world's cheapest steel. Is your welder going
> > to use carbon steel or stainless? What gauge? Will crumple extension
> > be reinforced with sheet or tubular steel?
> >
> > $500 is VERY reasonable IMHO. Less than half cost of replacement
> > extension alone (uninstalled).
> >
> > Bill Robertson
> >
> > >--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:
> > > Oooooooooook. So my car is at the welder's.
> > >
> > > This is the first time I've had it on a lift, and the first time
> I've
> > > been able to see in greater detail how certain things are
> attached.
> > >
> > > The first thing I'd like to say is, if anyone experienced had
> seen
> > > this car, I would have been advised NOT to buy it.
> > >
> > > But I went alone and now I have to work with it. That's fine.
> > >
> > > There was very little of the bottom part of the crumple tube
> left.
> > > The main cross bar that goes across the front of frame...uh the
> part
> > > that "boxes in" the "Y", that the tube attaches to is rusted away
> in
> > > the middle. There is also some concern for the metal that the
> lower
> > > control arms attach to.
> > >
> > > However, he showed me how he plans to build it all out again and
> what
> > > metal he's going to use. He'll be able to reinforce the control
> arm
> > > area too. I saw some of his handywork in the shop. I should be in
> > > good hands.
> > >
> > > We estimate the cost to be between $300-500.00. Pray for me.

> [...]

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=256694.4002236.5216697.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1784493/R=0/id=noscript/SIG=11q7p9e7k/*http://webevents.yahoo.co
m/universal/intolerablecruelty/>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=256694.4002236.5216697.1261774/D=egroupm