[DMCForum] Torsion bar jig REASON

I have adjusted a torsion bar before, in fact I have
replaced one as my drivers side snapped!!! so I know
what I'm doing and the dangers involved. I removed the
louvres to do this job.

The reason I wanted to build the jig, was that I was
hoping it would help me with my Passenger side issue.

I can not get the splined plate/bracket off of the bar
to adjust it, and thought the jig would help in the
process as there would be a little more support for
the tools.

I'm seriously considering deliberately snapping the
bar and replacing it completely, too many passengers
have lumps on their heads from a droopy door.....

Paul

www.dmc12.tk

--- Walter Coe <Whalt@xxxxxxx> wrote:
---------------------------------
I have a copy of the torsion bar jig.  Give me a snail
mail address and I'll
send you a photo copy of it.  I don't have it in
electronic form.  Basically
this is just a wooden jig that allows adjustment of
the torsion bar without
removing the rear louvers.  The only advantage to
using it is that you don't
have to remove the rear louvers.  There are a few
disadvantages:

You need a really long-ass extension for your ratchet.

You probably shouldn't be adjusting the torsion bars
unless you first know
that the sub-T-panel has not come unglued.  It bothers
me when I see guys
adjusting torsion bars at shows while it is obvious
that the sub-panel is
loose and causing problems such as raising the T-panel
causing it to catch
and bend against the louvers (and then of course
cracking the louvers too).
A loose sub-panel will also allow the torsion bars to
move closer to the
hinges where it will rub on them.

Personally, I never plan to build one of these jigs or
even use one if I had
it.  Removing the louvers isn't a big deal especially
if you use a swivel
extension on your ratchet to reach the hinges.

Walt

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor  ADVERTISEMENT

Terms of Service.

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3897168.5135684.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512