[DMCForum] Re: runaway idle

When I was suggesting that you check those set screws, I didn't just
mean for you to check whether or not the microswitch was being
closed, I mean for you to turn the one NOT on the microswitch all the
way out so that the throttle plates close all the way. Then you have
to back out the one for the microswitch so it's not just resting
against that, still holding the throttle plates open.

I'm guessing you've already done this but I thought it was worth
sending the clarification along.

Can't you spray some carb cleaner/brake cleaner along the cold start
tube to check for that crack? If you have the red straw, you should
even be able to spray where it mounts to the intake.

I'm hoping I can help you fix this so I can con you into coming up
and welding on my crumple tube assembly!! ;-)

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> > Sounds pretty comprehensive. I think you know more about the car
than
> I do so I feel silly offering advice but...
>
> {blush} Well thankfully I don't know what the inside of my
cylinders look
> like!  So you have more knowledge on that than I do. ;-)
>
> > 1. John Hervey knows the pinout for the idle regulator.
>
> At least I can find it in myself to laugh when I think about this
guy
> instead of getting angry at him.  Yeah, I'm sure that he has some
kind of
> deal where I send him a big sum of money and he will rebuild it,
add some
> maxi-brute components and then forget to ever mail it back to me
while
> claiming that I never paid him.  But what I find really amusing is
that he
> is eager to buy used plug wire sets.  Is he cleaning those up &
reselling
> them?  Next I suppose he will be refurbishing Goodyear NCT's.
Maybe he can
> cut the side walls off and glue them to new tires.
>
> > 2. Did you adjust the 2 set screws on the idle linkage?
>
> Yeah, this isn't the problem.  I have that adjusted perfectly.
When the
> switch activates or I disconnect the wire, the idle changes by
about 300
> rpm.  So the electricals there are doing something.
>
> > 3. I observed that when I accidentally disconnected my vacuum
advance
> solenoid power that the car idled way to high because the solenoid
> lost power it gave vacuum to the dizzy at idle.
>
> I had this apart yesterday, so maybe I messed something up on it.
I'll get
> back there today and make sure everything is connected properly.
>
> I have another idea that maybe I cracked the tube for the cold
start valve.
> I had to put a lot of force on it to loosen/tighten the fuel line
> connection.  They didn't provide any place to hold the body of the
thing
> still.
>
> Walt

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=256694.3867555.5111023.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512