[DMCForum] Re: ATTN (Ping) Mike C -- David Teitelbaum's Fall Tour

[DMCForum] Re: ATTN (Ping) Mike C -- David Teitelbaum's Fall Tour

For my next trick I will perform structural repair work, in this shark
tank- BLINDFOLDED!

Ok ok. I spent this morning underneath the car. Basically, the a-holes
before me removed a large section of the lower portion of the assembly
in preparation for welding in new metal. This lack of metal combined
with the rusted portions made things weaker than they would have been.
If I had known this, I would not have even driven the car.

I didn't understand what I was looking at until too late.

So basically, what's happening is the top part of the assembly, which
is still solid and unrusted is not really attached (unsupported) to
the lower part and it is drooping. Also, the lower part has broken off
from the frame at one or two points. I have identified where things
need to be re-attached by welding/bolting. I will get a wire wheel and
grinding disc for my drill and clean up as much as I can for your
friend. I will cut away as much of the crap metal as I can.

I am a telecom engineer (barely) not a structural engineer. I'm not
really good at this. I will tell you this, tho. The morons before me
-already- did the carboard template thing. The biggest piece of metal
to be welded in on the bottom is already cut and shaped. We just need
to cut away a little more of the bad metal and weld it in.

I used my hydraulic floor jack and a crowbar to "re-shape" the
assembly more to the form it's supposed to be in. I took it around the
parking lot twice. By the time I had parked, everything had started to
droop again. What we need to do is transport it to your friend's
place, do the hokey-pokey with the jack and the crowbar again to get
everything in it's place and then put this big piece and a couple of
other little pieces in, and re-attach those two places to the frame.
Then the upper half (which holds a heavy radiator full of water) will
have support and not droop.

Please ask your friend what he wants in compensation so I know which
of my children I have to sell, and find out what his schedule is.

I'll post a picture of the new metal piece so you know what we're
doing and can offer advice.

Rich

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@xxxx> wrote:
> Friend has bad habit of doing too much for too little. That's why he's
> so overworked.
>
> If your welding is just a Saturday project might do it for cost of
> steel. To be honest, his time is much more valuable to him than money.
> Would get best response if you engineer repair before hand, then all
> he has to do is build to your design. Make some full size poster or
> cardboard templates to test fit necessary pieces.
>
> Am sure would want to weld in Arlington. He has a *NICE* aluminum auto
> trailer, so transportation shouldn't be an issue.
>
> Doodlebug in middle of garage, held up by sawhorses (the thing is
> *PITIFUL*), so would have to work in driveway. Business as usual for
> us, eh?
>
> Of course I have yet to mention any of this to him...
>
> Remember: you can't weld to rust. Some of your repair may need to be
> bolted on.
>
> Try hard as possible to reduce his participation to cutting & welding
> only and this may work.
>
> Bill Robertson
>
> >--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:
> > You're damn right I want to go. I didn't see any dates yet though. I
> > have a wedding to attend at the end of Oct. It better not be then!
> >
> > How much do you think your friend will want? I don't have cash for
> > ASAP. :) That's why I didn't send you money for the heater hose yet. I
> > had a $200 "F'ing" towing bill.
> >
> > Why would Dave T punch you? As we say here in the United States
> > "Debate is healthy".
> >

> > --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@xxxx>
wrote:
> > > Just saw message in other group Re: David Teitelbaum's October get
> > > together. Is this the fall event you mentioned caravaning to? If so,
> > > would Rich A want to attempt too? If so if so, will see if I can
talk
> > > fire department buddy into looking at your front end ASAP.
> > >
> > > David Teitelbaum is going to punch me in the nose first he meets, so
> > > should be a good show...
> > >
> > > Bill Robertson

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1693353/R=0/SIG=11t71ok4g/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=6