[DMCForum] Re: Clutch Job on a manual

*DEFINITELY* get threaded rod for transmission to slide down. We had
*ONE* mounting bolt from alternator. Was lifesaver -- in all honesty
Rich, do you think we ever would have gotten damn thing on engine
without it? That one bolt was key to whole evening. Used ever longer
sockets as bushings. Would have been so much easier moving a nut! Had
to move that one bolt from hole to hole. Was tempted several times to
take alternator off my car so we'd at least have two (only constant
distraction of transmission falling off floor jack kept me under car).
If we had 4 threaded rods could have been eating pizza SO much sooner.

Get some smaller diameter rods to support front (rear?) of
transmission as you slide it back to engine. Won't be able to screw
into mounts until end of procedure. We used long blade screwdrivers.

Was stunned how easily splines lined *THEMSELVES* up. May be the first
time Europeans showed us Yanks something. Was SO grateful not to have
that issue on top of everything else.

DeLo transmission does some serious rock & rolling on a floor jack.
Get a proper transmission jack if possible. Moreover, transmission is
rising vertically between car pointed towards rear and engine pointed
towards front. At least transmission jack will let you raise parallel
to car. And Rich is correct: engine will have to be jacked from pulley
end.

Of course four guide rods might have changed a lot...

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:
> I've done this. Well...I've pulled my tranny and all the clutch
> componenents and put it all back together.
>
> Short answer: It can be done. Engine doesn't have to come out at all.
> The book procedure is fairly accurate but understates the difficulty
> of accessing the bolts holding the shift cable bracket onto the
> tranny.
>
> Long answer:
>
> I don't know what kind of facilities you have, but a lift and a
> tranny jack would be preferable. A dummy input shaft from John Hervey
> would also help. Some all-thread the size of the mounting bolts to
> act as installation guide slides would be prudent.
>
> The clutch pressure plate mounting bolts are allen head. DMCH can't
> get anymore of them. I got all mine out but one. I had to drill it
> out of the flywheel. It was scary but my aim was true.
>
> Bring friends. Order pizza. Buy beer. Send wife and kids inside so
> profanity isn't an issue.
>
> I did it in my driveway. It took me, Bill and Mike Cohee 7 hours in
> the rain, with a crappy floor jack and a pile of garden bricks to get
> it back in.
>
> Removing it isn't that hard, putting it back sucks. The engine,
> without the weight of the tranny, rocks back on the motor mounts and
> it's a bear to line everything up that way. We ended up jacking up
> the engine in order to give it the proper orientation so we could
> line up the input shaft.
>
> It's HEAVY. I think you should do it. Just my opinion. :)
>
> Rich
>
> --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jan van de Wouw <delorean@xxxx>
> wrote:
> > How hard is it to swap the Clutch on a manual?
> > Do I need to get the engine out or is there enough
> > room to just move the tranny forward?
> >
> > I really need to get working on this; my Clutch is worn
> > and our natioan Fall Drive is just 3 weeks away :-(
> >
> > Couldn't stand the embarassment of having a DeLorean,
> > but showing up in my (nifty) little Nissan 100NX...
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > JAN van de Wouw
> >
> > Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...
> > Living the Dream...   Driving a DeLorean...
> > Shifting Expectations...   Driving a Nissan...
> >
> > DMC-12 "Dagger" since Sep. 2000
> > 100NX "Saphire" since Nov. 2002

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1693353/R=0/SIG=11t71ok4g/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=6