  From: Martin Gutkowski
  To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 1:40 PM
  Subject: Re: [DMCForum] Turbo

  Hi Dick

  Here's the thing: I talked my good friend into buying a twin turbo
  before I knew anything about them. He is actually the person responsible

  for "finding" Darren Bowker. A long time Renault mechanic, kit car
  builder, owner (and breaker) of several Renault 30's, and consours
  competitor with his own R30, Darren was able to supply Rich with a
  required crankshaft pulley. When I got my project car with a blown
  engine, I gave the job to Darren to build me one. As a consequence,
  Darren found out all he could about the DeLorean version of the PRV.
  We've benefitting from this knowledge a very great deal now!

  But back to Rich. His engine was pretty much in pieces when the car
  arrived. it's doubtful the engine ever ran with the Turbos before it
  left the US.The engine was stripped down to the block to do the head
  gaskets, and on rebuild, the turbo kit was assembled as per Island
  instructions, supplied by Dave Stragand.

  However. Rich's car has never even been as fast as a stock DeLorean
  automatic. His turbos are set to 5psi which according to Darren is as
  high as they should be set without at least low compression pistons. We
  kept trying to get Darren to explain what we could do with the engine,
  and what might be wrong, and his answer was always along the lines of
  "get a different engine, if you want a turbo engine, get an engine that
  was designed for it in the first place". However we finally managed to
  pin him down over it by pointing out that it should at least be faster
  than a stock engine. Which it isn't. So finally we've started to get
  answers, some of which provide a fascinating new path for fuel
  enrichment under boost, timing curves, you name it. He agreed that the
  engine should be able to produce more than it is.

  Thanks to Gary (checksix3) I now have a better understanding of the CPR
  and accelleration enrichment systems on the DeLorean engine (basically
  there isn't any). The mickey-mouse method of disconnecting the lambda
  sensor under boost is limited to say the least, but I'm looking forward
  to playing with Rich's engine son and seeing if we can't fiddle the vac
  enrichment on the CPR to deliver a nice amount of fuel proprtionately
  under boost. Then the only problem left is the ignition, whre welding up

  the bob-weights and going for Emerald EFI and having it mapped ona
  rolling road will be the answer. Then it's a Milford K-Star for proper
  mapped fuelling

  They weren't meant for it, are a bad bit of engineering, but provide a
  lot of fun for a tinkerer like me!

  Martin

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o885gmo/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autore
dir?camp=556&lineid=3614674?=egroupweb&pos=HM>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=344180756>