[DMCForum] Warped intake manifold

I should know better but...

>>Don't think they can handle the heat. This time will
buy a set of industrial teflon.<<

That could be a mistake unless you know exactly what compound you're
getting. "Teflon" is a trade name, there are many different types of
fluoroelastomers. You'd better know what your getting or you'll be
doing the job again. A better choice is fluorocarbon (trade name of
Viton), it provides the best all around qualities for this
application. I suppose Nitrile would also work but Viton is superior.
If it's heat resistance you want silicone is the ticket as long as
you put stop spraying solvents like acetone or MEK on the engine.

>With all due respects to your wonderful European buzzy engine
designers, would it have killed them to use a few more bolts to hold
intake down? Ford saw fit to use no fewer than 10.<

An excessive number of fasteners will have no bearing on sealing.
It's dependent on the quality of the seal groove as well as proper
seal dimension and elastomer compound selection for the application.
The pissy low pressure in your engine is nothing compared to
something like 10-7E torr, a level routinely sealed by elastomers
using only a few bolts. Now if your manifold or head is really
warped, thats a different story.

In addition, the force generated by atmospheric pressure against the
large surface area of your intake manifold when under vacuum is
considerable. If it fits properly and the sealing surfaces are
correctly designed and in good condition with the right O rings used,
the number of fasteners will have little to do with sealing. There
may be more in your Ford but it's not for the reason you think.

>Am not opposed to replacing CPR, but need Darren to look up Renault
output pressure vs units DeLo vendors are selling. No sense buying the
wrong one.<

Why do you think your CPR is a problem? Why don't you simply test it
before replacing? Have you measured control pressure on the engine
cold, with the RPM relay out and jumpered to *only* run the fuel
pump? (Remove the CPR connector to be sure) Have you tested for
maximum control pressure?

>>That's why I sealed in bed of silicone last time I had intake off.
Am not real impressed with these neoprene or whatever O rings.<

Bed sealing of the manifold?? Yikes. CIS removed, different CPR,
possible improper seal selection, etc...hasn't it occured to you
other's don't need all this to make the engine run properly? Don't
you realize the more you do this kind of stuff the more difficult it
could be to get where you're want to go?

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1595055/R=0/SIG=124j83ehr/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenat
togyo?YH=3707890&yhad=1595055> Click Here!

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1595055/rand=736354510>