Re: [DMCForum] Decadent pleasures denied Martin G

timnagin wrote:

>Not really, at least from everything I have heard.  When you say you
don't
>like the sound of a rumbling American V-8, we would say that the little
>whining cars sound like they haven't yet reached puberty ;)

Which would be a minority view on the world stage. The US market is so
utterly seperate from the rest of the world.

> While the
>recent fad with little four-cylinder cars becoming ever more pronounced,
>there really is no substitute for cubic inches.

Probably 95% of cars on the road over here are 4 cyl, with several city
runabouts having 3 cyl engines now.

>Personally, I just think
>they are very, very annoying.  Diesel powered cars are not really
considered
>performance vehicles, and they tend to be much more expensive.

True. Nobody's ever had a sports car with a diesel engine, but the extr
cost is outweighed by the savings in the cost of fuel. From a pure
engineering standpoint, the diesel engine is a better product than a
petrol engine.

>I imagine
>they would be more reasonably priced where you are since they are more
>common.  I am looking at buying a new truck and I want a diesel, but that
>alone is a $7,000.00 (4,430.37 GBP?) option.

OWCH.

>I have never driven a Skyline, but I have driven a few powerful turbo'd
>vehicles.  I have never liked the spooling and sudden  surge in power,
>though I imagine one could get used to it and learn to drive it.  Why not
>just use a super charger and get smooth power all across the power band?

Superchargers run out of puff up at the top end, so a turbo'd car will
always produce more power, all other things being equal.

>>Have a look on Google for "opel lotus omega swedish police"
>>and track down a video taken from a Saab 9000 turbo cop car chasing a
>>Lotus Omega (LHD version of Lotus Carlton). It's really funny.
>>

>I searched and was unable to find it.  Do you have a link?

http://www.andywhittaker.com/lotus/lotusvideo/gt3_testrun.htm (down the
bottom) Remove "opel" from search criteria and you get loads of links.

Martin

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3793308.5048975.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1712983/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?pa
ge=1374-105951838331032> click here