[DMCForum] Broken crankshaft

Boy, that would suck, wouldn't it?

Last night was an example of "the right tool for the job." After
struggling
with the crankshaft nut, I exclaimed, "Flywheel lock? I don't need no
steenking flywheel lock!"

So, I bought a 5.5HP 150 PSI compressor and fired it up. It pressurized to
about 100 PSI and the pulley nut came off (no lie) is about 3 seconds. 3
SECONDS! Damn... Anyways, as it turns out, all you have to do is take that
lower plate off that holds the bumper secure. It flexes like Stretch
Armstrong so I was able to get the impact wrench and a deep well socket.

As it turns out I had to take the timing chain cover off anyway because
the
rope holding the camshaft sprocket stretched and allowed it to slacken, so
had to get in the and take the lower adjustment arm off and push the
piston
back in to get enough slack to put the sprocket back on. Reassembled,
there
is absolutely no stretch in the chains; another indication of a very young
engine.

Now, I have a lovely new timing chain cover and gasket! The head got it's
second retorque. The manual recommends waiting 10-15 minute before this
step. I waited 1 1/2 days. Rob Grady recommended 80-90 lbs, so I went with
brand new head bolds and 90 lbs.

All that's left now is the final assembly and the crossing of fingers.

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3705203.4965331.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1712983/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?pa
ge=1374-105951838331032> click here

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259538.3705203.4965331.1261774/D=egroupm