[DMCForum] Rich's latest problems...

Cooling fans: when in doubt, jump 'em. Can do it at the otterstat or
inside relay compartment. Spend some time studying the circuit. Is
definitely one of the car's Achilles heels. Basically circuit goes
from relay #24 (triggered by otterstat) through circuit breaker (40A
replaceable off shelf at Autozone or Advance -- just trim off mounting
tabs), then socket #25 (imfamous fan fail -- I simply jumped, with two
20A inline fuses for good measure), then onto the fans! According to
wiring diagram otterstat is fused (#5) -- potential problem.

Sitting still in this weather fans should definitely come on.

Go ahead and rig up a self bleeder. Can do it yourself for a couple of
bucks. Is SO worth the 10 or 15 minutes. Just dump coolant in car and
drive.

Note there is a bleed line from top of radiator (passenger side). Make
sure it is clear. Unless you're replacing hose (recommended), undo at
pipe -- hose barb on radiator is FRAGILE. Cracked mine, and ended up
engineering a brass replacement completely through side channel. Will
surely outlive radiator, however.

Temp sending unit isn't going to work if it's got a big air bubble
under it.

Re: idle speed -- ready to try manual idle circuit yet? See why I
think is important for all owners to know, even if they ultimately
idle off motor? Don't want to be diagnosing it on top of other
problems, eh? I'll eMail you Volvo procedure. Think you'll like it.

Injector seals are way cheaper from DeLo vendors than Advance or
Autozone (watch that price on their computers -- is EACH).

Start keeping a list of vaccum leaks. Next time I'm up there we'll
compare notes.

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:
> Whew...
>
> I fixed the cam access plate on the head. That sealed the oil leak and
> that one vacuum leak.
>
> I then discovered the freq valve wasn't buzzing. That was simply a
> contact in the RPM relay that was out of adjustment. A tweak with a
> needlenose fixed it.
>
> As soon as the valve had power, my idle shot sky high. Adjusting the
> CO screw didn't really bring it down much. It either stalls or still
> revs too high.
>
> I took a quick second w/the carb spray and discovered that all six
> injector seals leak. Could this be responsible for the crazy idle?
>
> I now noticed the engine was pretty warm. The guage was approaching
> 220 so I took a moment to bleed the cooling system. I get periods of
> fluid and periods of air. I'm not sure yet if I got all the air out.
> I'm not blowing coolant anywhere. This is good.
>
> Now I noticed the dang cooling fans didn't kick on. I have a new
> otterstat but I tested the connection to make sure I had things wired
> right and I think it may be bad. This is not good.
>
> However, the temp gauge dropped way back down as soon as I bled the
> cooling system. Now, I have a concern...after a while, the engine
> seemed to get pretty warm again, but the guage never went anywhere
> near that high again.
>
> Can I trust this thing or not? I'm not keen about blowing the engine
> up again after all I did to get it back together.
>
> Opinions?
>
> Rich
>

> --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@xxxx> wrote:
> > Vacuum leaks are indeed idle (low RPM) problem. And Martin G is
> > correct -- fuel mixture gets adjusted rich to compensate, which then
> > haunts you at higher RPM's (where leaks go away). That's why vacuum
> > leaks are MPG killers.
> >
> > Find them methodically anywhere air can enter engine OTHER than
> > metering device (air sensor plate). On most engines this is limited to
> > single piece intake manifold and a few vacuum hoses. PRV is different.
> > Breathes internally to a degree I've never seen before. Means you're
> > going to check things not normally sources of vacuum leaks, like valve
> > covers and oil pans. Note also upper air assembly alone has as many
> > mating surfaces as rest of block.
> >
> > Start by isolating engine from rest of car. Can have a vacuum leak at
> > far end of a hose, like power brake booster or A/C mode switch. No
> > DeLo vacuum operated accessories are needed at idle, so simply
> > disconnect hoses and plug nipples. You'll hear instantly if leak goes
> > away (which then requires one by one analysis to find bad accessory or
> > connecting hose).
> >
> > To find leaks on engine itself, I like to use aerosol products with
> > pin point spray straw. Private label carburetor cleaner is only 78
> > cents at Wally World, so it's become my solvent of choice. Is
> [...]

Click Here!