Re: [DMCForum] Finding vacuum leaks

Hi James

You should definitely have vacuum at idle, and my quick test for a
vacuum leak on an ngine that's "running properly" is to pull the
adjustment plug. On most cars that I've worked on, this results in it
stalling immediately, whic is a good sign - it means the fuelling isn't
adjusted to account for vaccum leaks.

owever this is the worrying bit - your car always idles like a dog -
(how does a dog Idle??? **shrugs**) and even with a vac leak, you should
be able to trip itout on the adjustmet scrw, but this will affect idle
only.

Still want to have a bloody good tinker on your engine - I've learnt a
helluva lot in the last few months. BTW have got all the components to
take Lex up to 170hp.Doing it friday/saturday before Gaydon (need to
find 2 intake manifold O-rings - the shop we use only had 4 Grrrr.

Martin

jamesrguk wrote:

>Hi list,
>
>My car idles like a dog and I want to fully check for vacuum leaks,
>I get a good reading of the vacuum gauge when connected to the
>intake manifold.
>
>However when I pull the rubber plug out (the one that sits above the
>mixture adjustment screw on the metering head) and put my finger on
>it I can't feel/hear any suction? the car runs, all be it badly, and
>the idle is terrible.
>
>What is the best thing to spray around the engine bay to detect
>vacuum leaks?
>
>Rgds
>
>James

>.

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3656190.4921519.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1595053/R=0/SIG=124mh1h7k/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenat
togyo?YH=3656190&yhad=1595053> Click Here!

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3656190.4921519.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1595053/rand=299137073>