[DMCForum] Re: Upside down oil

I don't think anything is stuck. Like I said, as soon as it had oil
it fired right up. I agree with the friction part. I think that's
what lagged it out.

As soon as it had the micro-layer, watch out...

I've already leaned out the co screw. It's much better. I also
retarded the timing. It was at 16 degrees. I know I'm going to have
to do this again though.

I've found my 1st 2 big vacuum leaks. The CO screw hole and the plate
on the back of the head that keeps the cam in. I warped it slightly
when I was trying to use the sprocket support. I almost broke my
timing chain cover like Tim. I stopped in time but still dorked up
that little plate. I'll pull it tomorrow and pound it flat and slip
the new o-ring on it.

Then I'll hunt down the others...

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@xxxx>
wrote:
> Cylinders are lubricated from below. Can't have oil from above (like
> leaking valve seals). Will foul plugs every time.
>
> Is it possible your rings are stuck? They must move vertically in
> their grooves to let micro thin layer of oil past. Remember: water
did
> puddle on top of pistons while heads were off. Unfortunately Marvel
> Mystery isn't a penetrating oil. Where it excels is finding nooks
and
> crannies thicker engine oil is having hard time getting into
(usually
> because oil galleries/lifters/push rods/etc are full of crap).
>
> Slow cranking speed may well have been metal on metal contact.
>
> You need to do compression tests on all 6 cylinders to ensure rings
> survived. If one reads low, may have snapped a ring.
>
> Just deleted a paragraph about cleaning out engine with diesel fuel
> (flame alert). If your's is stopped up, contact me off list and I'll
> relate experiences.
>
> Bill Robertson
>
> >--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:
> > Trust me, if you'd been here, you would have noticed the instant
> > difference in the way the engine sounded just before it started.
It
> > was lack of oil pressure, lack of cranking speed and lack of
> compression.
> >
> > The oil in the cylinders is already gone. I hooked up the fuel
system.
> > The car starts first time, every time. Like it was brand-new!
> >
> > I cleaned the spark plugs with a wire brush on a dremel every
time I
> > fouled them. They are clean.
> >
> > However, the car is running disgustingly rich and needs to be
adjusted.

> > By the way, the exhaust sounds great. I'm so glad I replaced all
that
> > stuff.
> >
> > --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207" <brobertson@xxxx>
wrote:
> > > Usually air in oil galleries is quickly ejected out top of
heads. Can
> > > delay lifters for a second or two (not an issue on your car I
know),
> > > but that's about it. Older domestics prime themselves every
time you
> > > start car.
> > >
> > > My R30 has a check valve south of filter to keep oil in, but ran
> > > engine 2000 miles with it removed no problem (was afraid I had
> > > introduced trash around pressure sending unit). Included
Thanksgiving
> > > trip to DC burning straight 30 weight in 28 degree temps.
> > >
> > > Filling oil filter isn't going to hurt anything (makes heck of
a mess
> > > though, eh?), but don't think that was problem. Doesn't prime
pump --
> > > 6-9 inches of air back to it. And don't forget all that air
rest of
> > > the way through engine. Filling filter just gets oil to metal
bits
> > faster.
> > >
> > > Pouring a bunch of oil directly into cylinders is going to foul
your
> > > plugs terribly. Doesn't take much residue to stop spark. And
once a
> > > plug is fouled, unburned crap in cylinder just builds up like a
> > > rolling stone gathering moss. What do electrodes on those
therrible
> > > Champions look like anyway?
> > >
> > > Bill Robertson

> filter to