RE: [DMCForum] I need a favor

>Someone quite a while back mentioned a plugged cat convertor or some
>such. Then today, my non-mechanically inclined wife asked me the same
>thing. A sign from God?

Wow, you just sparked a memory from so long ago it could have been a past
life.  Someone I knew was going through what you are, and while someone
else
tried to start the engine, he held a dollar bill next to the exhaust pipe.
Imagine holding it like you are about to put it in a change machine at the
car wash.  Holding one end so the other end is at the opening of the tail
pipe.

While the other person tried to start the engine he watched the dollar
bill,
counting the puffs from the pipe.  When the pipe would puff, that of
course
meant the exhaust was flowing in the correct direction.  If at any time it
seemed like the dollar bill was trying to be sucked into the pipe he knew
there was a problem.  I would think a one dollar bill would perform as
well
as a one hundred dollar bill ;)

I have no idea what type of car this was and it amazes me that I recalled
this.  As the other person tried to start the car you could count the
number
of puffs and knew when all cylinders had exhausted.  Since the De Lorean
has
two tips, I would think you could temporarily block one of them for this
test.

To supplement my college/university costs, I would buy late model wrecked
cars and rebuild them, drive them for a bit, and sell them for a profit.
Well, usually.  Anyway, one car I bought would not start no matter what we
did.  I finally checked the tail pipe and, due to the accident, the car
slide backwards into a ditch and the tail pipe was full of dirt,
completely
sealing it off.  I uncorked it with a screw driver, not the liquid kind,
and
it hit on the first turn of the key.  So yes, your catalytic converter
could
be stopped up, or your muffler, or anywhere in between. I thought you went
through your exhaust system though.

>The question is, even if I have no combustion, will I still have a
>strong puff of air/gases coming out of the exhaust, or do you have to
>have combustion to have any appreciable flow?

Based on every other car that I have worked on, you should feel an
appreciable flow as the engine is still moving, or should be moving, the
same amount of air it sucked it.  It has to go somewhere.

>Could someone -please- disable your ignition, and fuel pump and give a
>few cranks and let me know? Or, if you already know the answer, give
>me a shout.

I would if I could.  You are several steps ahead of me right now.  I have
never even had power to mine since I have owned it.  When I get that far I
may be hitting you up for ideas.

Good luck,

Greg

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512