[DMCForum] Re: Timing chain pictures

Ok, I re-read the article, I understand now when I put the words with
the pictures.

As far as the "1" goes, I was specifically warned about that before I
put it all back together and I did not use that as my timing mark.

Like I said, I have no doubt that you know what you're doing. When
you say that you had the engine running within 10 minutes of the
first crank, it's probably somewhere in that 10 minutes that I'm
screwing up.

When I troubleshoot a problem at work, we try not to introduce too
many "new elements" at one time into the circuit because we never
know what the fix was.

Where the car is concerned, I put a TON of new stuff (and other
repairs) on this engine all at once, any one of these things out of
whack and it's cold iron city for me. I know I introduced too many
new elements but the car was so hosed when I bought it that I didn't
have much choice.

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <webmaster@xxxx>
wrote:
> Um - as I explained in my article, I did not bother to rotate the
cam
> around to the point where it all slots together. i start where the
> manual says to put the crank mark, drop the chain over it, then
slot in
> the cam sprocket, lined up with its timing mark, then slowly turn
the
> crank till the cam sprocket clicks into it's hole. In this case,
the cam
> was quite a long way out and I had to turn the crank quite a lot to
> bring the cam sprocket round. By the time it slotted in, the mark
on the
> chain had left the sprocket, so I took the photo holding the chain
in
> the hope that you'd see that they DID line up before the crank was
> turned around.
>
> My girlfriend took the pictures - that was my hand holding the
chain!
> The rear impact absorber kind of prevents a clear photo being taken
from
> a nice angle, so she ended up jjust trying to take one where all
the
> marks showed up. That's why I blobbed the marks on the sprockets
for you.

> Having just looked at my (large version) of the photo I took of the
LH
> cam sprocket, I'm wondering if you mixed up the timing mark on the
> sprocket with the embossed charachter "1" which WOULD make the peg
at
> the bottom left....
>
> This engine was running within 10 minutes of the first crank....
>
> Martin
>
> cruznmd wrote:
>
> >Martin,
> >
> >I just looked at your pictures.
> >
> >First, let me say that I know you guys drink a lot over there, but
you
> >gotta hold that camera level. I got seasick trying to orient
myself! ;-)

> >Second,
> >
> >I agree with the passenger side picture. That's -exactly- how I
did it.

> >The cam/sprocket drive peg and hole were in that location, and my
> >timing mark was in that location when I put the chain on.
> >
> >The driver's side is what I don't understand. Your cam sprocket
> >position does not jive with the pictures in either my Volvo manual
or
> >the DeLo manual. You lined the marks up on the chain and cam
sprocket
> >right, but the cam drive peg and hole should be down and left (I
> >thought) In the picture, it appears that you didn't line up the
crank
> >sprocket timing mark with the chain mark either.
> >
> >I dont' doubt for a minute that you know what you're doing, but
could
> >you explain that part to me?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Rich