[DMCForum] Back to Basics

I read some more, I made more phone calls.
A non-Delorean owning old friend of mine told me it sounded like my
distributor was a tooth or so off.

How could that be? Timing light shows 12 or 13 degrees BTDC, rotor was
aligned per pictures and advice I was given. What if I set the
distributor at TDC on the wrong stroke? The manual says to set it on
the firing stroke.

I set the engine for TDC. I observed the rotor. It was pointed at the
mark on the dizzy body. I bumped it 360 degrees. The rotor was of
course 180 degrees away from the mark. I pulled and reset the
distributor to the mark on the different stroke.

By now it was pouring rain so I didn't have much time to fiddle with
it but the initial cranks were encouraging. I had a lot of back-fire
where before I had nothing.

I -presume- the back-fire means timing is too far advanced. (I had no
partner to crank while I adjusted the distributor or checked it w/a
timing light) I have the battery charging and hopefully tomorrow will
yield more progress.

Martin, I didn't try your procedure because it was raining. This was a
quick idiot check that I could do in the weather. If this doesn't work
I'll fuss with the chains and valves when the weather clears.

What do you think about the back-fire? Too far advanced or not
necessarily?

Thanks,

Rich

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3551198.4824677.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512