RE: [DMCForum] Working on the delorean on saturday in germany

RE: [DMCForum] Working on the delorean on saturday in germany

Hello all:

PREFACE:
Maybe this conversation should have come up sooner (i
checked the archives).  There has to be a couple of
people out there on the list that either broke off a
bolt into their engine, or had something come loose
because it wasnt fastened down good enough.

I think my torque wrench would have been a bit big for
the job, however knowing the right torque from the
company would give me a good idea when im tightening
them down.

  quite honestly an email could have come back and
said, "Those lines are under 70psi, youll really need
to tighten them things down or they'll leak and the
car will catch fire and blow up"

  For someone who hasnt really dabbled in the jetronic
arena, It could have well been a believable statement.
The same holds true for the oil sender unit.  Nowhere
in the book does it make mention of how tight it
should go on, some might laugh that I would even
approch the group with that kind of question.  knowing
things like that would considerably lower then chance
of breaking off a bolt or whatever into the engine.
For this reason im willing to do a little detective
work

    I rebuilt my mustang over the course of 2
years(1.5  of those in hawaii).  I guess ive been
spoiled by the endless flurry of documentation on the
mustang.  There's even a factory torque for the bolts
on the armrest.

For things that have no absolute value, there has to
be a community concensus based on experience for most
bolts and ummmm ,oil sender units and banjo
connectors, i imagine.

The shop manual does make a modest attempt at telling
you the torque of bolts in the engine if you were
rebuilding one(transmission too). For anything else
its pretty much a guessing game.

I took a look at the kit on specialtauto, it is a nice
kit.  I actually have enough to do the injector side
already. There is a bosch store in my area where i can
buy all sorts of supplies for the jetronic.

thanx

jordan 11613

--- John Hervey <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jordan, Normally 6 to 8 lb's the the torque. BUTTT,,
> be carefull. I don't
> use a torque wrench on something that small. I had a
> friend break one (
> Banjo hollow bolt ) .What I do is snug the bolts
> down with a hand wrench and
> then give them one small pull after that, you should
> hear them squeek down.
> I have the copper kits on the site if your
> intrested.
> John

http://sbc.yahoo.com

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3512152.4794593.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1595054/R=0/SIG=124f8kfa7/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenat
togyo?YH=3512152&yhad=1595054> Click Here!

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3512152.4794593.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1595054/rand=479229396>