Re: [DMCForum] Replacing front speakers

Hi Jordan,

Replacing the front speakers on my car was easier than I thought.  I don't
recommend taking the dash out for this unless you want to recover it or
install bigger speakers.  The dash is basically vinyl covered plywood.
Each
speaker is attached over two machine threaded studs mounted into the wood.
The biggest obstacles: not dropping the nuts & washers, not having that
hardware stick to the speaker magnet, not poking the studs through the new
speaker cone.

For the passenger side I ended up removing the knee pad and the glove box
lid & liner.  (To get the knee pad off I highly recommend that new style
of
ratcheting box-end wrench.)  Other people will say that removing the glove
box is a waste of time, and they may be right.  But then other people need
to remove the seats to have room to work under the dash -- a total waste
of
time for me.

For the drivers side I just reached up there and went by feel.  All the
speaker wires are run separately from the wiring harnesses.  It looks like
the whole radio install was an afterthought.  I replaced the original
wires
with new ones that came with the new speakers.  This allowed me to do a
little neater job of locating the wires.

Whatever speakers you choose, make sure that they are totally flat where
they mount.  I bought Blaupunkt ODX352 3.5" that stick up too high in the
center leaving little dimples in the dash.  If/when the dash cracks, it is
sure to happen here first.  I need to get those out and replace with
different speakers or come up with some sort of spacer.  If the speaker
grilles are already cracking, a cheap fix is to use aftermarket grilles.

If you take the knee pads off and those little brass studs back out, I
found
that the best way to stop them from backing out the next time is to jab a
short nail through the side so it fits in the slot.  You would have to see
it to know what I mean.

Walt

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512