[DMCForum] cat bypass pipe ...was: Oh hell, not this again

[DMCForum] cat bypass pipe ...was: Oh hell, not this again

Here is a "me-too" post about Ed Uding's bypass pipe.  I installed one,
and
it fits great and works great.  You can beat out the core of the cat to
completely hollow it out.  But as Martin said, it isn't exactly a free
flowing thing.  To keep the exhaust system looking pretty for possible
future inspections, I have considered sleeving the inside of the cat with
piece of stainless pipe but I haven't bothered finding one of the correct
diameter.

More thoughts about exhaust manifold R&R: The kit I got from PJ Grady had
all of the new studs the same length.  This is a problem for putting the
heat shield for the starter back on.  One of them needs to be longer here
get the shield to fit right.  When you take it apart, pay particular
attention to the locations of the various spacers.  Otherwise it is quite
puzzle to put back together.  While you are spraying things down with
penetrating oil, remember to do the bolts holding the heat stove on, too.
It's kind of a mickey mouse arrangement.  The Grady kit replaces some of
this hardware.

The heat shield for the cat is a pain, too.  Since I installed a bypass
pipe, I left the heat shield off.  There wasn't much left of it anyway --
good excuse for not continuing to bake the engine compartment with a cat.
You will need a new gasket for the cat connection which should be included
in the kit.  If you expect one or both studs to break off of the cat then
you won't be disappointed if they both stay intact.  I suppose the vendors
sell replacement studs or you can beat out the old one and replace it with
bolt.  Ed Uding's bypass pipe does not use studs.  I used regular nuts,
bolts & washers to hold it on.

Yes, take photos and do a nice technical write-up.  Maybe we can fit all
our
advice into one nice comprehensive novel, err, I mean article.

Walt

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1564415/R=0/SIG=11t6t7kdo/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=6