Re: [DMCForum] New Owner with Questions

Hi Jai,

Until you go through every system in your DeLorean, you can expect
problems
to keep showing up.  I bought my so-called daily driver with 8600 miles on
it.  That was about 3 years ago and it now has around 23K miles.  Lucky
for
me, it had very little done to it by the previous owners.  But then that
came at the price of the car needing many of the systems gone through.
Fortunately I have been able to drive it several weeks at a time before
having to perform major repairs.

What makes these cars so difficult do diagnose is that there may be many
problems compounding each other.  For example, a vacuum leak may make the
engine run too lean.  But then a fuel problem can make it run too rich.
Both problems working against each other may make the car seem lean at
some
times but then rich other times but normally pretty much okay -- just
lacking power.  Fixing only one of these problems without the other may
actually make the car run worse.

I suggest going through the whole fuel system.  Start by cleaning out the
tank and making sure everything is in place -- the baffle (top & bottom),
suction screen, suction hose, etc.  Replace the fuel filter.  Those should
be replaced every year or 10K miles according to books written about Bosch
fuel injection.  Remove the cold start valve to see if it is dribbling.
That would cause a rich running condition.  Also pop out all the fuel
injectors and put them in tiny jars.  Jumper out the RPM relay (as per the
Workshop manual -- you do have the sets of manuals, don't you?) and push
on
the air metering plate.  Check the spray pattern of each injector.  You
should see an even cone spray pattern, and the volume from each injector
should be within 10% of the others.  And none of the them should be
dribbling at rest.  Invest in a good fuel pressure meter and hook it up as
per the Workshop manual's instructions.  This goes a long way in
diagnosing
problems.  I don't recommend the NAPA fuel pressure gauge.  I have one and
it is a pain to hook up.  Whoever designed it never had to use one on a
DeLorean.

A common problem on these cars is the electrical connections.  Check every
one in the engine compartment -- particularly the ones at the warm-up
regulator, idle speed motor, frequency valve, connections at the firewall,
etc.  Check all the fuses in the relay compartment.  Those tend to corrode
and melt.  If your car is normal then you should have a few melted ones
already.

> but you might want to try
> www.DMCnews.com too. There's a lot of very helpful people there too.

Yep, true.  But that is IF the moderators will let your messages through
and
IF they will then let responses to your message through.  At least here we
won't delete your messages.

BTW, can I interest you in a set of Inconel 718 trailing arm bolts?  $46 +
shipping.

Walt

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=170512
6215:HM/A=1482387/R=0/SIG=16nn5l2g9/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vaG0xLmRhd
=1054874051%3eM=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705126215:HM
/A=1482387/R=1=1054874051%3eM=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S
=1705126215:HM/A=1482387/R=2>

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupm
ail/S=:HM/A=1482387/rand=208786927>