Re: [DMCForum] turn signals/hazard lights

Re: [DMCForum] turn signals/hazard lights

Hi John

The indicators are wired up THROUGH the hazard switch - the simplest
problem to cause this (and I've seen this on a friends car) is the plug
on the back of the hazard switch coming off.

To test your fans, un-plug the two wires on the otterstat (in the
coolant pipe above the left exhaust manifold - by the diplstick), and
short the two ends with a jump wire or paperclip or anything really.
With ignition on, the fans should come on. If this works, replace the
otterstat - I believe it's a Rover Metro, but your local motor factors
should be able to match it up.

Another possibility is the water pump thermostat failing, however this
is apprently very rare (although I've seen it on 3 cars including my own
within one month). When the engine's warming up, check that both the
hoses connected to the top of the water pump are equally hot. Even when
the coolant's not flowing, the fans should still kick in because the
otterstat is mounted above the exhaust manifold and this transmits
enough heat.

Martin
England

dmcjohn wrote:

>hey lads,
>Could someone give me a quick pointer on what to do/where to start
>when my hazards and turn signals stop working? I used to have the
>workshop manual, but left it behind me in Boston. When changing my
>accumulator, I left the old one resting beside the manual, which
>still had a bit of fuel in it, then someone threw a cigarette beside
>it, and whoosh! The end of my workshop manual :(
>
>On another note, my fanzilla never kicked in today. I had the car
>idling in the driveway, and the temp kept climbing without the fans
>coming on. I shut it down before it got to the redline. The car has
>only driven 300 miles since last september, maybe its getting me
>back?? Any ideas?
>
>Thanks a million,
>
>John Dore, Ireland, VIN 3810.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor