[DMCForum] Re: noise was: "Ricers" (was) Vertical Door Conversion Kit

[DMCForum] Re: noise was: "Ricers" (was) Vertical Door Conversion Kit

Jan,

Sadly, I don't get the BBC in New Orleans. Even to get "BBC America" I
would have to subscribe to Digital Cable which is ludicrous since I
hardly watch five hours of TV a month.

Yes, I agree that hearing loss is of serious concern. A friend of mine
listens to nothing but dum-chit-dum-chit "techno" or "rave" music at
loud levels in her VolksWagen on lengthy road trips (seems to help her
A.D.D.). Even after a few short years it would seem to have affected
her. She's 20 and already has significant hearing loss at low
frequencies, hence when she and I were listening to my music and she
kept saying "Needs more bass."

*shakes head*

I knew a guy who operated a tank in World War II who had the opposite
hearing problem - high frequencies were totally gone and he was 50% deaf
in both ears. Apparently they didn't hand out ear protection in the Army
back in the 1940s. And I worry if a lot of vehicles are loud enough to
cause a problem on road trips. The road noise annoys me after several
hundred miles; granted, I drive a pickup truck. I imagine the DeLorean
is better on both road and engine noise. Any comments there?

Anyway, I never have music very loud for a long period of time (over
fifteen minutes), and I recommend the same for others. The human ears
can take loud volume but not for very long without suffering damage - if
youe ears ring the next day it's s good sign you took a little too much
time next to the speaker cabinet at the Who concert. ;) As a musician
and engineer, I have to make sure my ears continue to function properly
or I'm unemployed! I hope everybody else out there takes care, too. It's
nice to hear everybody quietly oohing and aahing amongst themselves over
your DeLorean!

Thanks for the ricemobile links. Ricecop I've heard of but not Beaterz.
I'm submitting my neighbor's orange Mustang to ricecop as soon as I get
some film for my camera...

Kind regards,
Farrar Hudkins
Announcer/Producer
89.9 WWNO FM New Orleans / 90.5 KTLN FM Thibodeaux-Houma
Live audio stream @ www.wwno.org

Jan van de Wouw wrote:
> You should have seen a feature on that on BBC (UK-station)
> a couple of weeks ago... Thet did a hearing test on a guy
> driving a Citroen Saxo (VERY small Hatchback), with over
> triple the value of the car in Stereo Equipment built in.
> Putting out over 110dB of noise. (World record is supposed
> to be over 155dB in a NON-purpose-built SPL-car)
>
> It turned out his hearing was starting to degrade in a certain
> frequency range. So this guy responds; "So you're saying that
> I should, like, double the amps in that range, so I can fully
> hear every note again?"
>
> In my case I HAVE to crank up the volume on my stereo these days;
> otherwise I cant hear it due to thet I'm using ear protectors
> when driving with the T-top off; the wind noise is unbearable
> without them when doing 100mph on the German "Autobahn" :-P
>
> For other idiotic cars have a look at
> http://www.ricecop.com or http://www.beaterz.com
>
> Have Fun!
>
> JAN van de Wouw
> Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...
> Living the Dream...   Driving a DeLorean...
>
> #05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000

Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty
Dollars for Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/HliolB/TM