[DMCForum] crumple tube... ie front extension

[DMCForum] crumple tube... ie front extension

As part of my "frame-on" restoration :-) I will be cleaning up my front
extension and adding the sway bar recall brackets in the next few weeks.
Anyone do this recently have any tips or pointers? I am afraid of once I
get the sway bar bracket off when I retighten it to the correct torque the
nut will break off....After looking closely at the extension it does seem
to be in okay shape...the drivers side looks preety good and has only a
little bit of rust that i can clean up and fix with POR-15. My passenger
side looks like the whole extension part is covered in surface rust....I
will clean it up and apply the marine clean and metal ready treatment
...but getting the POR-15 completly inside crumple tube will be a
challenge...I may just spray permatex or something.

Also, the top of the crumple tube has all the epoxy there but it is
cracked and chipped like a dry riverbed. Unfortunatly, the only acces to
the top is crawing under the car(it is on car ramps in the front) or
through the panel inside the front bonnet where the brake master cylinder
is....When I have everythiong restored as well as possible I will cover
all the body/suspension parts and paint with the Krylon smoke grey to make
it look new again...

any advice would be appreciated...

Mike C
2109

trying singlehandidly to keep the Forum active during the slow winter