[DMCForum] mechanics

I work for a brokerage firm and we have CNBC (the business channel) on all
day and ther was a story yesterday on auto mechanics. It basically said
there is an enormous shortage of "qualified" auto mechanics. It said as of
today there is a need for 60,000 new mechanics!!!. It also said there is a
misconception about the salary of a mechanic. BMW has started a mechancs
school becasue they are desparate. It said salaries are reaching $150k+
for
skilled mechanics that can work on todays cars. It seems the problem is
that
cars have becoem more and more complicated with computer system and that
the
average "grease monkey" is not fully trained to work on new cars. It also
said 48 percent of a delaerships revenue comes from their service area so
dealerships are activley trying to find good mechanics.....anyone
considering a career change??? Dave??? :-)

Mike C
2109