[DMCForum] In-dash a/c issues

My car is still very apart while I fix things related to repairing a leaky
evaporator.  While I have it out, I want to replace all the rotten foam
gaskets and paint the rusty flap doors.  Has anyone done this before?  I
was
just at Home Depot to buy a sheet of foam gasket only to find that they
only
sell it in strips -- not sheets.

While I have things apart, I'm going to fix once and for all my fogged up
windshield problem.  I usually run the a/c at night even year round.  And
due to the Florida humidity, if a/c air blows on any of the glass then it
fogs on the outside.  Before I replaced my broken door vents with ones
that
will actually shut, I had to stuff socks in the vent tubes to stop the
side
windows from fogging.  Otherwise visibility to the side mirrors would be
totally blocked.  Now I found the cause of a similar problem with the
windshield defog.  There is a bypass duct that always allows some air to
flow through the center vent at the bottom of the windshield.  I'm going
stuff this with a sponge.  Is there any good reason why they would design
the system to leak air through the center defog vent?

One last issue:  To reduce wind noise, what do you think about replacing
the
accordion-pleated ducts with something smooth-bore?  I might try it.  Does
anyone have any experience with VU (voice unit) meters to measure any
changes in interior noise in a car?  I talked with one of the guys at
http://www.b-quiet.com/, and they had a hard time taking objective
measurements.

Walt

Home Selling? Try Us!