[DMCForum] Re: VIN 05557 Working - Info!

[DMCForum] Re: VIN 05557 Working - Info!

Wow, I reread my post, and I'm sorry for my sloppy typing / spelling!

Scott, I'll try to be brief...it's really a long explanation.
But about 9 months ago I had actually stumbled onto the solution -
and then discarded the idea after asking several people for opinions.
Also I was not willing to spend $400 bucks on a "shotgun" concept.

The problem, since the day I bought this car, was a studdering
(violent studdering) when simply trying to cruise at normal speeds.
When you drop the accelerator to the floor - the car took of and ran
great. When you let it idle, it would...reasonably smooth. But when
you got up to speed - say 45 mph - and just pressed the gas normally -
 the car would buck and shutter violently.

I did the normal process: Check the fuel pump, the inertia switch,
the relays, the injectors, and in fact the entire fuel system. I
replace nearly 100% of it, but still could not resolve the issue.

The PREVIOUS OWNER had, for some reason, replaced all of the fuel
lines to the injectors - from the fuel distributor - with very
expensive, high pressure, 250 PSI racing fuel line (the type you find
at a speed shop). This always bothered me because it was not
original, and made of high temperature silicone. They are
specifically designed for extremely high pressure fuel systems.

My knowledge of basic hydraulic physics made me worry that these
lines could actually "flex" and damp the "hydraulic snap" that is so
necessary in a mechanical check valve-style fuel system. But several
professionals told me that this was highly unlikely - and probably
not the issue.

To make a long story short. That is exactly what was happening. Every
time a "pulse" of fuel was sent to the injectors, the pulse
was "damped" by the minute expansion of the siliconized rubber racing
fuel lines.

The De Lorean absolutely must have rigid fuel distribution lines. The
original De Lorean lines are actually hard-poly tubes surrounded by a
rubber protective jacket. After replacing the lines with original De
Lorean parts - the car purrs wonderfully, accellerates perfectly and
cruises with confidence. (and since I restored and replaced
everything else in the fuel system already - it does everything
flawlessly!)

While I feel good that I had actually stumbled on the solution a long
time ago - It actually took my having to bring the car up to DMC Joe
to get the repair nailed down. He's nothing short of amazing! (and I
consider myself reasonably knowledgeable - and very capable - about
repairing a DeLorean.) It did take Joe a couple of days to figure it
out, but he did find it! Plus he had the original hoses there, to
test the theory.

Well, it might have cost me a lot (both money and effort) - but hey:
You gotta be Tough when your dumb!  One thing is for sure, I've had
the car apart and together so many times - I feel I could fix
anything now. And now I can spend my time working on the finer points.

Eric
Dunedin, FL
VIN #05557