RE: [DMCForum] vacuum for making D parts

RE: [DMCForum] vacuum for making D parts

Andrei,

I know exactly what you mean about having a few too many projects going
on.
I haven't made fiberglass molds in a long time and I currently do not have
the facilities to do this but hopefully will in the near future.  The
fiberglass resin vapors are very strong and you need good ventilation when
doing this and a respirator is highly recommended.  I also no longer have
access to any CADD resources, but then again I have always built the
pieces
by hand from scratch and made the drawings later.  My engineering
instructors never appreciated that very much.

The whole process is not very difficult really, but I would suggest
starting
with something smaller to get the feel of it.  You can buy the fiberglass
cloth, resin, catalyst and various shaped rollers at any automotive paint
supply location.  From what I have used in the past, the higher quality
products seem to be much easier to work with.

I could be wrong, but based on the design of the latches for the doors I
would think the side impact forces would be transmitted through the
striker
pins.  You could build a tubular inner structure for the carbon fiber door
that, when closed, connects to the original latch pins.  I have no idea
how
the structural forces actually transfer through the body, only that I have
seen a few pictures of the DMC-12 crash tests and the passenger
compartment
didn't seem be to be left intact much at all.

Greg