Re: [DMCForum] Re: Top Speed fun.....

On 08-01-2003 21:38, John Dore <dmcjohn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My DeLorean will do around the same top speed, I've seen about 4600
> in 5th gear, what approx speed is this anybody? I'm guessing maybe
> around 120mph or so...

I've got a kmh-table, but you're about right. according to my
calculations 4400rpm equals about 190kmh = roughly 118mph

> The car simply will not pull any higher than around 4600rpm
> in 5th gear... is this pretty typical stock DMC performance?

The only "performance"-mods on my car were a tune-up and removal
of the cat and hot/cold air valve in the intake.

I've had mine up to approximately 5000rpm in 5th,
which is about 215kmh / 134mph.

I did this over a year ago, on a German Autobahn VERY early,
around 07h00 in the morning. Upto 190kmh the engine has no real
trouble of getting there, but the last 25kmh took about 15 min
to get to that speed.

I was on the 3rd lane of doing this and was cruising along when a
couple of headlights got bigger and bigger in my rearview mirror.
So I took my foot off the accelerator and went back into the 2nd lane,
still doing well over 190kmh I was passed by a Porsche 911 and some
BMW with only 2 or 3 meters in between them!
They disappeared into the distance in a couple of seconds,
both were probably doing well over 240kmh/150mph!

I took it easy for the rest of the trip, cruising at 140 to 150kmh,
which feels and sounds very nice in my car...

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different...   Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000