Re: [DMCForum] Shock/Suspension Kit

Ken,

I went the PJ Grady method for lowering my front end and replacing the
shocks.  The springs lower the front to where it should be.  They improve
handling & the looks of the car a lot.

The PJ Grady front shocks are stiff enough to help prevent the sway bar
mounts from scraping bottom when pulling out of steep driveways.  The rear
shocks are a different matter.  They are a little stiff for my taste, but
are a noticeable improvement over stock.  (My opinion is that it is best
have the front shocks stiff for good handling but the rear shocks a bit
soft
for butt comfort.)  What makes me hate them is the noise they make.  They
are incredibly loud.  Every time a shock compresses at any rate for any
reason, they will yield a squeak.  It's distracting & cheesy to say the
least.  On my car there are fit issues with both front & rear.  The tops
of
the shocks have a bolt, per se, that mounts to the frame via a bushing.
There is a high shoulder on this bolt that prevents proper compression of
the bushing.  This allows clunking and excessive wear of the bushing.
Additionally the bottom eyelet bushing in the rear shocks do not hold the
weight of the car well.  In a short time mine have elongated making room
for
another rattle.

I mean in no way to bad-mouth PJ Grady.  Rob may have resolved all these
issues by now.  (I certainly made him aware of them anyway. :-)  But I
haven't heard if he resolved any of them.

I saw the DMCH shocks at the 2002 Memphis show.  They looked nice, but I
can't comment otherwise.

My next set of shocks are probably coming from Marty Maier (Midstate
club).
I met him at Memphis where he was showing off a prototype he was working
on.
He has probably done more research on DeLorean shocks than anyone.  And he
found a way to make eyelet bushings that do a nice job of holding the
weight
of the car.  I'm sure that he has the best & most economical kits than
anyone.  He can also custom-select shocks for the type of ride you are
after.

That's my 2 cents,
Walt