RE: [DMCForum] electric De Lorean...

Not Quite --

JZD never claimed the car would renew itself and would cost nothing to
run.  Martin is correct, here: no matter how much you squeeze that
little compliment of batteries... There is no way they would even power
the blower and the radio for the amount of time that it would take them
to get to LA -- let alone propel the vehicle!  Those are simple
lead-acid batteries not exotic fuel cells.

Now let's say he was regenerating juice during coasting... Then why use
the torque converter?  That's all lost energy.  There are many, many
things that don't add up with this one...

Do a simple search on "Tilley Foundation"
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%22tilley+founda
tion%22 ).  Notice the only relevant hit of all the pages on the web is
their own press release funneled through the Colorado Governor's office
at http://www.oit.state.co.us/tools/releasetracker_show.asp?upid=48
These are self-submitted releases and not necessarily endorsed by the
Governor's office.  It reads:

"The Tilley Foundation has just complete converting a 1981
DeLorean to a fully electric car, it is planning to demonstrate
it's technology by driving more than 1,600 miles with no need
to plug in to re-charge...at speeds of 70MPG (it will actually
do in excess of 100PGH). Further detail can be found at
www.tilleyfoundation.com"

Great press release by the way.  I work at a PR firm, so I see these
constantly.  Three typos is two sentences?  Speeds of 70 miles per
-gallon-? And it does in excess of 100 Pittsburghs?  There is a lot of
wiggle room in the language, too.  No need to "plug in" to recharge?  So
it could be recharged without "plugging in".  Say, by a fossil-fuel
internal combustion generator perhaps? Lots of ways to recharge without
"plugging in".

With billions of dollars at stake in the alternative fuel vehicles
category and billions already spent in research... Just call me a
Doubting Thomas that the answer would be found by a
never-before-heard-of "Foundation" that consists of a cheap steel garage
and a mobile home...

-Dave